TWar clouds were
gathering on the horizon and ominous reverberations could be
felt through the length and breadth of the country. The school
was also undergoing a phase of instability. However Reverend
Horsley left. J. S. Mathews of St. Jame’s Calcutta was offered
the post of Principal. He accepted but till he arrived Mr. O. H.
Pharoah officiated as Principal till October 1938.
prevailing conditions and the existing politics environment the
school continued to expand both in size and strength. Number of
students increased, few additions were made to the faculty and
extensions were made to the quarters for staffs. A new kitchen
was erected. The herd of cows had become a problem and it was
decided to sell them off.
For some reason
in November 1939 it was decided by the governing body that no
day scholars were to be given admission. Greater consciousness
had developed amongst the students and the overall standard of
the school had improved. For the student who could not cope with
the Cambridge Examination provisions were made so that they
could sit for the BAT (Board of Apprenticeship Training)
Examination. In comparison the Science subject continued to find
more favour with the boys. A better equipped science laboratory
became vital and its construction was immediately taken up. The
fee was raised by Rs 1/-p.m, in addition a laboratory charge of
Rs 12/-p.m. from students of class VI-IX was included. In March
1940 the school set up its own Bakery. It was an immediate
success. Apart from supplying bread to the school, it was a
source of “Tuck” for the boys.
The effect of the
war could be felt in varied ways in the Westcott campus. Certain
food items became a rarity and authorities took measures to
stock and store ration in large quantities. A few member of the
faculty relinquished their services to join the Air force/Army.
Mr. James H. R. Smith was the first among them. Every effort,
however, was made to ensure that the academic side was not
adversely affected. In 1941, (10)ten students were presented for
the senior Cambridge Examination of whom seven(7) secured first
class, two(2) secured second class and one secured third class.
1942 proved to be
a year of immense upheaval the world over and Bishop Westcott
Boys’ was no exception. To accommodate the Burma Casual ties our
school was commandeered. April 1942 saw the exodus of the school
from Namkum to 14 Stanley road, Allahabad. In the words of a
member of the staff-“This was an evacuation equal to that of
Dunkirk”. The boys were the first to their new surroundings. Rev
Mathews, the Principal continued in office for barely 6 months
in Allahabad. Major L. S. Boot, from Army Education Corps,
replaced him. His stay was also very short (1943). All this
while the financial status of the school was steadily
deteriorating so much so that it was thought it would be far
better to close down the school. At such a critical juncture Mr.
F. E. La Valette was called upon: he took up the challenge and
owing to his Midas touch the school continued in its existence.
The school “Comeback” to Namkum in 1948, was like crossing the:
“Red Sea” back to their root.