HISTORICAL BACKGROUND >> Origin

<<<

The advent of the missionaries in the densely vegetated Chotanagpur region was a landmark in history. With their relentless effort and zeal they prepared the ground to educate people and then began the actual task of spreading the light of education. In Ranchi the first schools to be set up were St. Paulís (1885) by Anglican Protestants and St. Johnís (1887) by Roman Catholic Jesuits. The need for a separate school for girls began to be acutely felt and St. Margaretís School was officially given acceptance as Middle English School in 1908. Prior to the date the girls were co-educated till Lower Primary Section in St. Paulís School. In 1915 the girls school acquired a separate identity and came to be known as St. Margaretís. A number of smaller schools mushroomed in Ranchi most of which were Hindi, Bangla or Urdu Medium. Both St. Paulís and St. Margaretís were considered as important schools of the Chotanagpur Diocese. Through Hindi was the medium of instruction, due to European teachers a great deal of emphasis was laid on teaching English and spoken English. Establishment of English Medium schools was the next obvious step as well as the need of the hour.

Education had became a problem for the children of those who were foreign service, of the missionaries and of the Eurasian (better known as Anglo-Indian) community. The need was particularly urgent for the Anglo-Indians who had been totally neglected by the East India Company since the 18th century. Macaulayís policy had been aimed at depriving them of education and the adverse effects of that policy were blatantly visible. A concerted effort to remove the stigma of ďilliterate A-IĒ was begun and once again the missionaries played a vital and commendable role. Within a short span several English medium schools were set up in different places e.g. B.W.B.S, St. Paulís Darjeeling, Bishop Cotton Shimla, etc.

In Ranchi, the then Magistrate verbally allotted the entire plot of land bordered by River Subernrekha in the Namkum/Jorar basti for the establishment of English Medium Schools. In 1921 Sherwood House, a co-educational institution was the first to come up. Run by the Anglican nuns, boys were accommodated only upto Class-IV. In the meantime plans for a separate school for boys and girls were put into execution.

The site along the railway tracks covering 104 acres was selected for the boys school. The main building (single storied), hall, and residence for the headmaster were constructed in a accordance with the plan drawn by Rev. T. Cashmore. Mr. Goswami was given the contract for the construction. Bricks and other raw materials were carted from Ramgarh to Namkum for the constructions.

By 1923 the Girlsí School renamed as Bishop Westcott Girlsí School began in its new building and by 1927 the brother school, Bishop Westcott Boysí School was also established. A fresh dimension was added to education in Chotanagpur and thus began a new chapter.
 

 

 

 

 

Powered by : COMPUTER Ed.